It is currently Thu, 28 Mar 2024, 19:53

Hallooooooo !!! 

New post Hallooooooo !!!
Where is everyone ? Where is Waldo??

I know you fun-loving Europeans go on seven-week holiday binges every summer.

Enjoy!! Have a great time !! But remember, SUNSCREEN !!! :lol:

Sun, 12 Aug 2007, 21:23
site admin

New post Re: Hallooooooo !!!
starfish wrote:
Where is Waldo??

Who's Waldo? :D

starfish wrote:
I know you fun-loving Europeans go on seven-week holiday binges every summer. Enjoy!!

Thanks, Starfish, but I prefer to avoid holidays every bit as Nero Wolfe did, and at the same time avoid earning money just as much as he did.

Unfortunately, I've been flooded by work in the last couple of weeks, so, it's the exact opposite of holidays for me right now. :?

Still, I try to do a bit of work on this site every day, at least 30 minutes or so daily. (Since I'm commanded to do so by my Wolfean daily schedule.)

For example, in recent days, I've managed to re-organize the list of Wolfe volumes alphabetically. So, we now have the full list of all 47 Nero Wolfe volumes available on this site in 2 versions: alphabetical and chronological.

An overview of what's happening on this site is always available on the Recent changes and Recent additions webpages.

Of course, everyone is invited to chime in, even and especially during those weeks when I don't have the time to contribute myself. :(

Sun, 12 Aug 2007, 21:56
Profile E-mail WWW

New post 
What, you are not vaccationing? :o
You are aware of the perils of 'all work and no play' ?

About Waldo, British artist Martin Handford created the character for children in full page pictures of hundreds of tiny people, in various activities. The point is to find the well-hidden Waldo (Wally, in English).
'Where is Waldo' used to be a household phrase around here for years.

Not to put any undue burdens on you, but I thought I had submitted a suitable icon, as per your instructions, but apparently not. I shall try again.
By now you know that I am not the sharpest knife in the techno-drawer. :oops:

Mon, 13 Aug 2007, 3:04
site admin

New post 
starfish wrote:
You are aware of the perils of 'all work and no play' ?

Yes :!: One might develop into a full-blown Nero Wolfe one day. :twisted:

It's not all work and no play for me, but rather both work and play every single day, with emphasis on (literary, philosophic) play whenever possible. The Wolfean daily schedule is my guide, and these online quotations are my orchids. 8)

As one can see, Wolfe's obsession with immutable schedules has had some definite influence on my real life. :oops: :wink: :)

starfish wrote:
'Where is Waldo' used to be a household phrase around here for years.

Thanks for the explanation. I feared you were suggesting that the plans about doing my PhD on Ralph Waldo Emerson were not being executed in a timely manner. That thing will take some time – a few years at least.

starfish wrote:
Not to put any undue burdens on you, but I thought I had submitted a suitable icon, as per your instructions, but apparently not. I shall try again.

Let us know in more detail where the error occurred or what seemed to be the trouble. Or, you may send me the picture via email and I can try to activate it.

starfish wrote:
By now you know that I am not the sharpest knife in the techno-drawer. :oops:

No problem, neither am I. 8) I'm just an amateur who simply spent a number of years learning all the things necessary to run this site – that was my motivation, to collect these quotations online. I started collecting them offline in 1992, but it's a lot less fun if you only collect them for yourself and no one else can share your pleasure.

Mon, 13 Aug 2007, 5:00
Profile E-mail WWW

Hey Starfish et. al,

I have not disappeared off the face of the planet, only life has been pretty busy. Unexpected things happened, and before I knew it school was beginning again. (School ruins everything. If only I could use Archie's excuse and drop out of college, haha!) I see everyone else is pretty busy. Adonis Guifoyle, I have missed your e-mails! :cry: I hope to hear from you again soon, and hopefully still in an Archie phase! :wink:

Well, I just wanted to write and check up here. I had expected it to be filled to the brim with tons of posts, but I guess not. I still haven't forgoten that I wanted to write a review on Too Many Clients. I must see to that sooner or later!

Here's hoping to more great discussions on our favorite detective and his assistant in the future. :D

Mon, 3 Sep 2007, 22:52
Profile WWW
site admin

Goodwingrad wrote:
life has been pretty busy.

I can confirm that. :? I'm a freelance translator, just like Wolfe was a freelance detective, and my trouble is I can't really tell my clients to go to hell at a time when I don't need them. I could afford financially to do nothing for a few months, but in practical terms it's difficult to ward off assignments. I'm not there yet. Remember how often Wolfe has to take on a case even when there's really no urgent need for him to do so. Stout described those dilemmas of freelance operators very well. So, my problem can be summed up in three Wolfean words: Too Many Clients. :lol: One has to be careful in handling such situations, though, because they might easily turn into their exact opposite: Not a Single Client, at a time when one does need a source of income. :)

Tue, 4 Sep 2007, 6:54
Profile E-mail WWW

Goodwingrad wrote:
Hey Starfish et. al,

I see everyone else is pretty busy. Adonis Guifoyle, I have missed your e-mails! :cry: I hope to hear from you again soon, and hopefully still in an Archie phase! :wink:

Sorry for the 'In the Best Families' act, Goodwingrad - yep, I've caught Marie Celeste Syndrome myself, and I've also decamped to my other fandom (probably only a temporary desertion!) It's no doubt because I have only a couple of books until I finish the corpus - I seem to automatically pace myself by losing interest just when my fever is at its peak! :wink:

Hope to be back with you all soon, and apologies again, Goodwingrad :cry:

My very best regards and wishes

Tue, 4 Sep 2007, 23:21