It is currently Thu, 28 Mar 2024, 19:40

Crossover (Pea Beans & Popovers) 

New post Crossover (Pea Beans & Popovers)
Hi Alex,
Just stumbled on your friend Lutz-R's question, concerning legumes and popovers.
The beans in question are indeed pea beans, smaller than regular dry beans, roundish and white.
Popovers are akin to individual Yorkshire puddings.
Webster says: A very light, puffy, hollow muffin, that rises over the rim of the baking tin.

Sorry to export this topic, but I am not a member of the other board. Some time ago I tried to sign up as "Lucy van Pelt", which was probably a mistake :lol:

Thu, 27 Dec 2007, 1:45
site admin

New post 
Thanks a lot, Starfish :!: We've also received some responses from other sources, which I'll copy below.

What seems to be the trouble about your subscription to the Wolfenistas list :?: The only thing necessary is to send an empty email message to nerowolfe-subscribe@yahoogroups.com from the address that you'd like to use for participation, and then confirm your interest by hitting reply to the confirmation message that arrives from the server. It's too bad for the list to miss your contributions :!:

My latest message there:

Quote:
Quote:
Here are two recipes for popovers: [...]
There are many other recipes which can be found for toppings for popovers, such as ham and cheese—Google for examples.
Hope you enjoy baking!

Thanks a lot, Cecilia. I do enjoy the products of baking, but I'm no Fritz and will leave up the art of baking to the Fritzes of this world. :wink:

Off-list, Lutz-R. and I also received some insight on “pea beans” from the Wolfe Pack webmistress (Carol), so I'll copy her information and my response below:

Quote:
I have NEVER heard of a pea bean. But Google has: The smallest of the dried white beans, the others being navy bean, great northern bean and marrow bean (in order of ascending size). Pea beans are very .... I am amazed. Learn something new everyday, as they say!

Popovers are puffy (very light and airy) biscuits or muffins.

Here's a recipe + a picture of them.

Thank you, Carol! These days, one should rather google unknown things instead of simply trying to locate them in dictionaries. Still, the trouble for us living in foreign countries remains as to how we should call these items if we decided to include them in our menus one day, so even the traditional dictionaries should be expanded to cover them. Google has by now probably become the world's leading (meta)dictionary and I wonder if Wolfe could say a sentence like, “Archie, did you try googling those terms?” “Not yet, sir. The server has been down this morning.” If you're forbidden to contact anyone under Wolfe's roof, can you google anything? ;-)

Thu, 27 Dec 2007, 10:58
Profile E-mail WWW