It is currently Thu, 28 Mar 2024, 23:18

A&E TV series — general discussion thread 

Book to film, or film to book? Your first meeting with Nero Wolfe
A+E series - I'm a youngster! 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
Rex Stout's corpus, of course! 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 4

A&E TV series — general discussion thread 

New post 
I've just been enjoying Door to Death and Eeny Meeny Murder Moe, two of my favourite 'novella' episodes, again! :D I love the humour and the attention to detail in the whole series - damn the eyes of whoever cancelled it! :evil:

In EMMM, I've just picked up on a joke by Lon, in the original introduction that links it with Disguise for Murder: 'You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make her think'! He puts on a fake accent, and sort of leers, so I've missed what he was saying up to this point, but it tickled me, as does Orrie's caution during the card game, and Saul's lecture about gambling (still in character, though not in the books). I also like that Archie is wearing Wolfe's 'colours'!

And Door to Death is hysterical, when Wolfe, or more accurately Maury Chaykin, starts thrashing around in the snow, and whacks Timothy Hutton on the legs; then he adlibs about 'serpents' attacking him, and falls down. The three of them are in hysterics, but they carry on, and it's kept in the episode. Wonderful moment. Back in character, Archie and Saul keep patting Wolfe on the back in this episode - doesn't he hate to be touched? And once again, the cast were expertly chosen - the bossy daughter, the spineless son, the invalid Southern Belle of a mother; the whole episode just had a comfortable, familiar feel to it, even though Wolfe leaves the brownstone.

Gushing over! :D

Tue, 9 Oct 2007, 16:29
Report this post

New post 
The adlib scene in Mr. Pitcairn's snowy woods has to rank above all else ! If I had to pick just one favorite, this would be the one. It shows clearly what fun the cast had, playing off each other.
To the other 'gems' you mention, all I can say is yes, yes, absolutely, my feelings exactly, love it, love it - not much of a discussion, but you are so right, this show was first rate, top to bottom.
The more I watch, the more I see, the more I treasure. Sigh :)

Tue, 9 Oct 2007, 21:25
Report this post

New post 
starfish wrote:
To the other 'gems' you mention, all I can say is yes, yes, absolutely, my feelings exactly, love it, love it - not much of a discussion, but you are so right, this show was first rate, top to bottom.
The more I watch, the more I see, the more I treasure. Sigh :)

If ever you want to chat about one of the episodes, I'm there! :D Like you, I'm more and more impressed every time I watch the series; there's always a new level to enjoy. In fact, I'm in awe, when I stop to consider what we fans do have, because adaptations usually manage to massacre one or more elements of a popular story or character, but Timothy Hutton and the rest of the cast actually improved on the text, to some extent, by adding careful extras and highlighting some aspects of the books over others (such as an awareness of the bond between Wolfe and Archie).

Tue, 9 Oct 2007, 22:54
Report this post