It is currently Thu, 28 Mar 2024, 21:58

Where There's a Will (1940) 
site admin

New post Where There's a Will (1940)
You're invited to use this topic to discuss the quotations from Where There's a Will (1940) – a Nero Wolfe novel by Rex Stout.

You may also use this thread for general discussions about this literary work; you do not necessarily need to discuss specific quotations.

Or, if you'd like to talk about anything else related to Nero Wolfe, Archie Goodwin, or Rex Stout, feel free to create a new discussion topic.

Last edited by Faterson on Fri, 27 Jul 2007, 6:38, edited 1 time in total.

Thu, 15 Feb 2007, 20:09
Profile E-mail WWW
New post That's me!
I'm the gorgeous and lovely Ms_S_Snape who thinks this book rocks! Down with those who don't agree! BOOOOO! 8)

Mon, 4 Jun 2007, 6:57
site admin

New post 
“Gorgeous and lovely, huh? Nuts!” Cramer got up. “Give me some hard evidence, and I'm sure Goodwin could produce lots of photographs, or just shut up!”

:P

(Sorry. We may get to a serius discussion of Where There's a Will quotations later on... And thanks so much for bringing them to our attention :!:)

Mon, 4 Jun 2007, 16:49
Profile E-mail WWW
New post Where There's a Will Review
Here is a review on the book that less...worthy (hehe!)....Nero Wolfe fans will snub most definitly. However, I shall persist! I think it is non-spoiler, but everyone has their idea of what spoils a book or not. I have no idea who will read this, but if you are someone, believe me. This book rocks!

Noel Hawthorne, part of the very famous (or infamous in this case) family in America, scandalously leaves his dear sisters, April, May, and June a peach, a pear, and an apple with his mistress running off with a great bulk of his estate. Perfectly satisfied with their inherited fruit, the Hawthorne girls beseech the gourmandizing detective to settle the problem of the other woman. Usually reluctant to accept such a case, the bank balance puts things into a new perspective, and Wolfe accepts. What follows next is inevitably murder with greed and lust eating at the roots.

And the crazy antics of the Hawthorne family deems worthy of a serious pain in the neck.

It is no surprise that I eagerly devoured this book (twice!) because of Rex Stout's usual wit and dexterity! Who could ever tire of Wolfe and Archie’s dynamic clash of characters that has grown to be a comfort and friendship between both involved? It is the reason we continue to be charmed by every page of suspense and mystery. In this particular story we enjoy Archie’s antsy and restless nature as he grows frustrated with his employer’s eccentricities and slothfulness, despite the impending doom of the bank balance. It’s possible that normal people aren’t supposed to know what geniuses are up to, but it is inevitable that hilarity will ensue as the two detectives strive to unravel the mystery. There are funny quirks around every corner of this plot, the Hawthorne family proving to be more eccentric than our favorite rhinoceros. However, no murderer is cleverer than Nero Wolfe, and with a stroke of observant genius, Wolfe will triumph once again, and collect a fee to Archie’s relief. Of course no Nero Wolfe story is complete without the arrival of their favorite cop, Mr. Cramer, and every fan will delight in the usual banter that erupts at the result.

Like every Nero Wolfe mystery, the plot is paced wonderfully by our favorite, and most irresistible, narrator. This time the plot proves to be exceptionally exciting with a veil faced widow, botany, a professional fiend, and lawyers mixed appropriately with greed, revenge, forgery, and lust!

Any Wolfe fan better go out and get this because you will not be disappointed!

Thu, 7 Jun 2007, 4:43
site admin

New post 
Many thanks to Adonis Guilfoyle for expanding the Where There's a Will collection by adding 2 more delightful quotations :!: (From pages 43 and 82.) I'm getting closer and closer to being persuaded that Where There's a Will might in fact be a good novel; anyway, all these quotes make me look forward to re-reading this volume more than would otherwise have been the case.

BTW, Adonis, there's no need to state Archie Goodwin's name in the chapter / page / minute edit box if the quotation is Archie's narration. Since all Wolfe stories are narrated by Archie Goodwin, further identification of narrative passages isn't necessary. Archie's name only needs to be mentioned if the quotation is direct speech – because utterances in spoken dialogues, unlike narrative passages, could belong to any character in a novel.

Sat, 7 Jul 2007, 0:24
Profile E-mail WWW
New post 
(This is me Goodwingrad!)
Oh yay! New quotes everywhere! I should have put those up there as well, but I'm a poor judge at what makes a good quote. Thank goodness for Adonis Guilfoyle! :wink: Particularly since it has gotten you to almost change your mind. Yes, yes, YES! I assure you, you won't ever regret the change of heart. Every book is a jewel, and every moment is a delight! 8)

Sat, 7 Jul 2007, 5:57
New post 
I love Archie wrote:
(This is me Goodwingrad!)
Oh yay! New quotes everywhere! I should have put those up there as well, but I'm a poor judge at what makes a good quote. Thank goodness for Adonis Guilfoyle! :wink: Particularly since it has gotten you to almost change your mind. Yes, yes, YES! I assure you, you won't ever regret the change of heart. Every book is a jewel, and every moment is a delight! 8)

I've always liked Where There's A Will - at least, I've never actively disliked it! :wink:

And I think I just got carried away with writing 'Archie Goodwin' - of course it's obvious who the narrator is! :idea:

Sat, 7 Jul 2007, 11:21
New post 
I was talking to Faterson (Alex), because he used to violently hate it. I'm all up for Nero Wolfe fans coming around and realizing that yes, all the books are wonderful. :D

Sat, 7 Jul 2007, 17:55