It is currently Thu, 28 Mar 2024, 19:59

Death of a Dude (1969) 
site admin

New post Death of a Dude (1969)
You're invited to use this topic to discuss the quotations from Death of a Dude (1969) – a Nero Wolfe novel by Rex Stout.

You may also use this thread for general discussions about this literary work; you do not necessarily need to discuss specific quotations.

Or, if you'd like to talk about anything else related to Nero Wolfe, Archie Goodwin, or Rex Stout, feel free to create a new discussion topic.

Last edited by Faterson on Fri, 27 Jul 2007, 6:37, edited 1 time in total.

Sun, 8 Jul 2007, 21:02
Profile E-mail WWW

New post Re: Death of a Dude – a 1969 Nero Wolfe novel
Faterson wrote:
You're invited to use this topic to discuss the quotations from Death of a Dude (1969) – a Nero Wolfe novel by Rex Stout.

To my surprise, I found four quotes that I quite like from this book, and one of them has nothing to do with Archie! :shock:

Oh, and Archie receives some rough treatment from the local law, I forgot about that - I wonder if Rowcliff ever heard about it? :wink:

Sun, 8 Jul 2007, 21:37

New post 
Faterson wrote:
And so did I! I've never been to America, much less to Montana, and I loved imbibing the local atmosphere. Or to experience Wolfe wetting his toes in a local creek – what more could a Wolfe fan wish for?

I liked that scene (I've just rediscovered it, searching for chapter and verse references), for the peaceful familiarity between Wolfe and Archie - Archie scooping up Wolfe's cufflinks and worrying that his boss might slip on the rocks, etc.

I have a similar love for Archie's descriptions of the city, and his and Wolfe's little corner of it, the brownstone - that's where they belong, not a ranch in Montana. I will agree that the setting was described authentically, probably because Stout loved it there, but I have no interest in the great outdoors and its picturesque pastimes, such as fishing (and quelle surprise, Lily Everywoman excels at it, and hooks a fifteen pounder), and so I could only cling for dear life to Wolfe and Archie, and just hope we could return to New York soon! :wink:

Each to their own!

Sun, 8 Jul 2007, 21:55
site admin

New post 
AdonisGuilfoyle wrote:
searching for chapter and verse references

Thanks a lot for being so thorough, Adonis! :D Speaking of page references, could you also always provide info on what edition your page references are taken from :?: You can put that info in the heading of any quote (for example, the first quote) from a book, if you like. Later on that info can be transferred, via a footnote, into the Comments section, as can already be seen in the Some Buried Caesar and If Death Ever Slept collections, for example.

Because, if you do not state the edition you're using, I would have to, while adding my own quotes to a collection you started, re-adjust (to ensure consistency) the page references of your quotes based on the particular edition I happen to have in my own bookcase. :wink:

It's not necessary (although it can be highly useful) to state page numbers from which quotations are taken – however, once we do state page numbers, then also the edition should be specified.

Anyway, this is not too important. Just a technical note. 8)

PS: The snippet of my text you're quoting in your post is from the If Death Ever Slept thread, for anyone who may be wondering how we got to discussing Nero Wolfe wetting his toes in a creek in Montana. :lol:

Sun, 8 Jul 2007, 22:15
Profile E-mail WWW

New post 
Hello!

As Adonis pointed out, it is great to finally have a forum to show off our icons. We have a whole little collection of them, it's awesome.

I for one am very distressed on how much Rex Stout bashing there is going on in these forums. Faterson bashing the books Adonis dislikes, and Adonis bashing the books Faterson dislikes, so that Rex Stout is equally criticized cruelly all around. It makes me want to shed a tear for the guy. Sniff!

Even if I can't picture Archie and Wolfe set in the 60s or even 70s backdrop of America, I still love every book created in those years. I agree with Adonis that Archie and Wolfe fit perfectly in the 40s. That's their era, the golden age of America! However, they are still Archie and Wolfe even in the 60s, so how it can be distasteful at all is beyond me. Yes, the etymology of the letter "P" was disgusting, no not amusing Faterson haha, but I don't see how one passage can destroy a whole novel. That story was so fun, and had some great Archie/Wolfe moments. I loved how it was like a continuation of Too Many Cooks, that's really neat. (Funny that everyone else ages but Wolfe is still the same as he was in 1930-something! Haha! It's great!)

I have to disagree with the fact, though, that the 60s work of Stout brought a much needed refreshment from the 1950s novels/novelettes. :cry: *tear*

As for Death of a Dude, I loved that one too. Naturally. Unlike Adonis, I don't dislike Wolfe and Archie out of their element of the Brownstone and New York. In fact, I love it because it is an interruption of their norm, and it is always fun to break the rules. Wolfe sitting by a creek-bed is just downright hilarious! I love how that one scene played out, where Wolfe is dipping his feet in the creek and Archie reporting to him. It is as if they created a makeshift office out of Wolfe's desire for his comfort, but you laugh because it totally isn't! That's what makes it so great when Wolfe and Archie go wandering off to strange, unfamiliar territory. Such as The Black Mountain, which is good, AHEM!

Okay, I have to agree that Montana was more authentic in Dude than Montanegro was in Mountain, but why that matters I have no idea. I guess it matters in one sense, but Stout can't help he knew America better. Give him a break, and just look at what is going on in the story. The Archie and Wolfe scenes are brilliant in both! Gah! How anyone can hate a story that has Archie and Wolfe in it is so...foreign to me! :shock:

Mon, 9 Jul 2007, 17:53
Profile WWW