It is currently Thu, 28 Mar 2024, 10:51

The League of Frightened Men (1935) 

Worst companion in a dark alley?
Paul Chapin 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Dora Chapin 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
Zeck 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 4

The League of Frightened Men (1935) 

New post The League of Frightened Men (1935)
Quote:
You're invited to use this topic to discuss the quotations from The League of Frightened Men (1935) – a Nero Wolfe novel by Rex Stout.

You may also use this thread for general discussions about this literary work; you do not necessarily need to discuss specific quotations.

Or, if you'd like to talk about anything else related to Nero Wolfe, Archie Goodwin, or Rex Stout, feel free to create a new discussion topic.

Quotes up: The League of Frightened Men :)

I will admit, on my third read, that there is a lot of verbal deadwood in this book, but there are also some interesting and useful 'philosophies', particularly from a still green Archie, and of course, the depth of Wolfe and Archie's mutual dependency is shown but not spoken when Archie's life is in danger: Dodging the subject

I absolutely adore chapter 19, as Archie's struggle is described in his usual light style, but if you stop to think about everything he is telling the reader, it is clear that he is using every last fibre of his incredible personal strength to carry on - because he has to get to Wolfe. It's also rather comical, of course, being told by Archie :wink:

Finally, Paul Chapin is so much more powerful as a villain than the overrated Zeck, I find - Paul and his wife are so unbalanced and yet so banal about their issues; whereas Zeck was all talk on the part of Wolfe.

Pardon any blips, Alex! :oops:

Sun, 29 Jul 2007, 23:34
site admin

New post 
I've now added a quotation on Wolfe's potential marriage (from the conclusion of chapter 10, sourced by Scooter) to this collection.

I think that this passage simply causes misunderstanding on some readers' part and that Nero Wolfe never married; nevertheless, the excerpt seems significant enough to retain.

(For a discussion of the passage, see page 2 of the A Family Affair thread.)

Mon, 8 Oct 2007, 12:39
Profile E-mail WWW

New post Happy Birthday Archie Goodwin - a little late :(
Sorry, Archie, but I couldn't find the board yesterday :(

I had a nice piece of leather of my own, not as big as Paul Chapin's treasure box, but fancier. Sitting at my desk around five o'clock that Wednesday afternoon, killing time waiting for a visitor who had phoned, I took it out of my inside breast pocket and looked at it; I had only had it a couple of weeks. It was brown, ostrich-skin, and was tooled in gold all over the outside. On one side the tooling was fine lines about half an inch apart, with flowers stemming out from them; the flowers were orchids; the workmanship was so good that you could tell Wolfe had given the guy a Cattleya to work from. The other side was covered with Colt automatics, fifty-two perfect little gold pistols all aiming at the center. Inside was stamped in gold: A.G. from N. W. Wolfe had given it to me on October 23rd, at the dinner-table, and I didn't even know he knew when my birthday was.

The League of Frightened Men, Chap. 12

Wed, 24 Oct 2007, 23:46
site admin

New post Re: Happy Birthday Archie Goodwin - a little late :(
scooter wrote:
Sorry, Archie, but I couldn't find the board yesterday :(

My apologies to Archie and all. :( The site experienced a serious breakdown last week. :( (See details in a separate post.)

(Happy birthday to Archie, nonetheless. 8))

Thu, 25 Oct 2007, 5:07
Profile E-mail WWW