Champagne for One (1958) 

Home or away? Favourite setting for a Nero Wolfe story
The brownstone 100%  100%  [ 4 ]
The great outdoors 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Champagne for One (1958) 

New post Champagne for One (1958)
Quote:
You're invited to use this topic to discuss the quotations from Champagne for One – a Nero Wolfe novel by Rex Stout.

You may also use this thread for general discussions about this literary work; you do not necessarily need to discuss specific quotations.

Or, if you'd like to talk about anything else related to Nero Wolfe, Archie Goodwin, or Rex Stout, feel free to create a new discussion topic.

A recent re-read; and my idea of what makes a Nero Wolfe novel. The episode is also one of my favourites, which I can watch again and again - I adore the waltz, and a 'dishevelled, disgruntled and disslumbered' Archie returning home :wink:

Mon, 24 Sep 2007, 22:39
site admin

New post 
Thank you very much, as always, Adonis, for starting yet another quotes collection and discussion thread. 8)

I didn't enjoy reading Champagne for One the first time around, and thought it was one of the weakest Wolfe novels. But, I may have been in a particularly bad mood back then; I'm looking forward to re-reading the book. Plus, I haven't even seen A&E's TV version yet, which by all accounts is spectacular and one of the best Wolfe TV episodes. So, I think I'll watch the TV version before re-reading the book, and that may help me appreciate this particular story. :)

Tue, 25 Sep 2007, 10:05
Profile E-mail WWW

New post 
Faterson wrote:
I didn't enjoy reading Champagne for One the first time around, and thought it was one of the weakest Wolfe novels.

Oh, dear - and never the twain shall meet!

I thought it a neat little mystery, with Archie's pride/sense of chivalry once again stirred, and his honour at stake if he and Wolfe cannot find the murderer; somewhat like Prisoner's Base.

I also liked the assembled cast of characters, and thought the episode more than did them justice - that pop-eyed guy with no chin was pefect as Austin Byne, the 'man afraid of a woman'! I also liked Archie's flirting with Kari as Celia Grantham, and the adlib of 'Take me down' - 'Take you down where?' :wink: She played a very Chandleresque femme fatale, there!

Tue, 25 Sep 2007, 14:14

New post 
I was in the middle of my first re-reading of BM because I thought I ought to. As great as Black Mountain is, I gladly shelved it in favor of jumping into something less grim and dark :D
I am with Adonis all the way. Maybe my enthusiasm comes from remembering the filmed version in detail.
All players were shown multifaceted, each worthy of a complete story in his/her own right. No card board cut-outs here.

Let's start with Mrs Robilotti, a study in hardened steele. She gives new meaning to the term "Gimlet Eyes". How did this marriage come to be? Was she buying a title or an exotic European pet? And poor Mr. Robilotti, did he brave the domestic terrors for financial gain? One wonders why he survived at all! A 'Praying Mantis' comes to mind.
There is a funny exchange between Archie, arriving at the party and Hackett the butler. Archie:"How is Mrs Robilotti?" Hackett: "As kind and warmhearted as you remember." They both keep a straight face, smile and have a perfect understanding.
Then there is Dinky Byne, cavorting with Mrs. Usher, dining on oysters, no less.
Later in Wolfe's office, her garrish clothes and behavior.
Dinky has a very stylish pad on which Archie has his eyes and wouldn't mind inhabiting, should Dinky no longer need it. Wolfe may have said "Bah"!
Not to forget the 'Chevaliers' and Archie refusing to be snubbed.

I could go on and on. Love this story, especially the A&E effort. 8)

Wed, 26 Sep 2007, 2:55

New post 
starfish wrote:
I was in the middle of my first re-reading of BM because I thought I ought to. As great as Black Mountain is, I gladly shelved it in favor of jumping into something less grim and dark :D

I think I took half of Black Mountain for quotes - it's a rich study of Wolfe and Archie's relationship - but I doubt I would read it again; and not just because I don't have my own copy! It is too dark, but it is also a case in point with regards my poll at the head of this topic - I much prefer the standard, 'Wolfe-by-numbers' cases solved in the brownstone, with Archie going out to find the clues and Wolfe putting them together for an assembled audience in the office.

Quote:
All players were shown multifaceted, each worthy of a complete story in his/her own right. No card board cut-outs here.

Couldn't agree more! I had the sense, both with the book and the excellent adaptation, of these characters going about their lives before and after they spoke with Archie. The more I watch the series, I have to admire the casting - maybe it's because so few of the actors are well known, and lend themselves perfectly to a part, but I think they were also chosen to fit with the descriptions in the books. Mrs Robilotti is an excellent example - those eyes! :shock: Archie in the book describes her as all angles, with deep-set, cold eyes, and the actress has that attitude of haughty grandure in spades; I loved when she screamed at her son to shut up!

And not forgetting the scene where Wolfe has to hastily back up and placate Archie, who finally reacts to Saul getting the best assignments (or so he sees it). I think this book finally helped to convince me that Wolfe rates Archie first, no matter how many sly tasks he gives to Saul; despite Wolfe stating the contrary, Archie is indispensible! :wink:

Wed, 26 Sep 2007, 10:12

New post 
Adonis, are you referring to the drawing room scene? Mrs. R. shouts at her son for annoying everyone with his piano playing.
The film captured that beautifully. The whole family was assembled, complete with legal council, ready to purchase one Archie Goodwin :shock: only to find that he was not for sale! :lol: Archie made a grand exit, supported by Celia.

As for Celia, she is rather a practical girl, isn't she? How smoothly she replaced Archie with Laidlaw and it didn't seem, that her mother's predicament caused her much anguish.
The book ending was somewhat different. I believe this episode is another instance where the film is, on occasion, better than the book.

Jumping around, I think Wolfe assigns tasks according to ability. Saul's strengths are different from Archie's, but both are indispensable.

Fri, 28 Sep 2007, 0:11
site admin

New post 
starfish wrote:
The book ending was somewhat different. I believe this episode is another instance where the film is, on occasion, better than the book.

That's a promising sign :!: Really, the first Wolfe TV episode I'll be watching next is Champagne for One. You've managed to whet my appetite.

PS: Great avatar, Starfish. Avatars make reading forum posts so much more pleasurable. :wink: Also, you can immediately see who says what.

Fri, 28 Sep 2007, 7:43
Profile E-mail WWW

New post 
starfish wrote:
Adonis, are you referring to the drawing room scene? Mrs. R. shouts at her son for annoying everyone with his piano playing.

Yes. I can't remember if that scene is in the book - or at least, if it is, Cecil isn't in the room, and the flirting between Archie and Celia is played up (the 'Take me down' adlib) - but it's great visual comedy. The more I watch this series, the more astounded I am that it was cancelled - or maybe not, considering the numbers game in the US.
Quote:
The film captured that beautifully. The whole family was assembled, complete with legal council, ready to purchase one Archie Goodwin :shock: only to find that he was not for sale!

I love when suspects try to buy Archie off; he sometimes pretends to consider the offer, but bribery - especially to betray Wolfe - is just so completely against his nature, that I'm often offended on his behalf! :wink: Which book is it where Wolfe has him trying to smoke out a witness or a suspect by offering to sell what he knows? One character tells him, paraphrasing, 'I wouldn't have thought you were capable of such behaviour, going by your eyes', and another logical response is that Wolfe would have fired him years ago if he knew he was so amoral!

Quote:
As for Celia, she is rather a practical girl, isn't she? How smoothly she replaced Archie with Laidlaw and it didn't seem, that her mother's predicament caused her much anguish.

It says in the book that Celia is rather direct, and only follows her own rules. The teasing with Archie, as I say, was built up for the episode, I felt - whereas Celia walks off with Laidlaw after batting her eyelashes at an unruffled Archie on screen, in the book Archie merely spots Laidlaw in a bar some weeks later and finds out that the two are set to marry. Archie shows no interest in her, after their disastrous date many months back (although it's interesting that Laidlaw reports that she initially turned down his proposal because he 'didn't dance well enough' - and guess who does?)

Quote:
Jumping around, I think Wolfe assigns tasks according to ability. Saul's strengths are different from Archie's, but both are indispensable.

I'm not sure Saul is any better than Archie, based on the books where he features - the only advantage that Saul has over Archie is that Wolfe doesn't require him to be tied to the office, so Saul can hop on a plane for Caracas, or wherever, at a moment's notice. We never learn how Saul works his wonders, which is something that bothers me - we just have to believe Archie's numerous odes to his fantastic skills as a detective. And in 'The Second Confession', Saul fails to convince a young girl and her mother to come and speak to Wolfe, whereas Archie reads them well enough to know that they are afraid of the husband/father and uses family pressure to get them to co-operate (I love that scene!)

Fri, 28 Sep 2007, 10:50

New post 
Gosh, I really mangled 'counsel'. One should think while posting. :oops:

Adonis, I can't recall at the moment the books containing the instances you mention, but I know of one, where Wolfe really jumped off the rails! In 'Too many Clients' he wanted Mr. and Mrs. Perez to confess to murder, pay them off and deport them to another country - all for the sake of expedience. Archie was shocked to the core!!!

I realize, this is close to heresy and I probably have to duck, but I can easily live without Saul Panzer. He may be capable, but so what. And that applies equally to the book and film version of him.
My favorite operative has always been Orrie. I am sure that is so because he is so likable on video. I wonder why Stout vilified him so.

I think you are right. Celia would have preferred Archie. If we scanned the books, we would find that to all the women in his orbit, Archie was always first choice. despite the fact that he is really, really, super picky. Sagging shoulders as well as turned-down mouth corners is all it takes to be disqualified. :wink:

F. Glad you like my avatar. I'm trying to make Brownie points with Mr. Wolfe :lol:

Sun, 30 Sep 2007, 2:51

New post 
starfish wrote:
Gosh, I really mangled 'counsel'. One should think while posting. :oops:

Didn't notice! :wink:

Quote:
Adonis, I can't recall at the moment the books containing the instances you mention, but I know of one, where Wolfe really jumped off the rails! In 'Too many Clients' he wanted Mr. and Mrs. Perez to confess to murder, pay them off and deport them to another country - all for the sake of expedience. Archie was shocked to the core!!!

Oh, Wolfe is no saint, certainly - in a thread at librarything, one poster was appalled at the suggestion that Wolfe might cheat with his tax returns! He is grateful to his adopted country, but not above the little tricks of his fellow citizens. In a couple of books, Archie comments that he might have fiddled the books on occasion, and I'm sure he would have Wolfe's permission! Archie really is Wolfe's conscience, as well his combined accelerator and brake; I love when he has his little puritan moments, and comments on the manners of others :oops:

Quote:
I realize, this is close to heresy and I probably have to duck, but I can easily live without Saul Panzer. He may be capable, but so what. And that applies equally to the book and film version of him.
My favorite operative has always been Orrie. I am sure that is so because he is so likable on video. I wonder why Stout vilified him so.

Finally, somebody else! :D You won't have to dodge any missiles from this quarter, I'm in full agreement about Saul! My problem is that he's too perfect, with no subtle shading - he's either dazzling brilliance, in Archie's eyes, or complete shadow. I don't see where the appeal is - heroes can be faultless, but not minor characters; and one or two minor flaws are actually more convincing. I love Archie to bits, but we know, through his narration, that he has his issues - he tends to view women as objects, defending himself against their charms by scoring them on superficial merits; his humour can tip the scales into irritating and immature; and his ego is outdone only by Wolfe's. He is very human, whereas Saul is merely a device; I don't care that Archie loves him, I find him smug, despite his (false) modesty, pretentious, and rather sinister on occasions. The actor in the series played him to perfection.

And now I'm going to pack my bags and go into hiding :wink:

I prefer Fred, but I have never had any problem with Orrie, whom Stout unfairly bestowed with Johnny Keem's personality where it didn't fit. Johnny, I felt, was after Archie's job - Wolfe even warns him in one book that he should stop imitating Archie, because he won't make it - but Orrie merely wants to be like him. I think Orrie knows that, for all the times he sits in Archie's chair, he will never match his standard. There is some friendly rivalry, but Archie allows him his due - there's a wonderful scene in Champagne for One where Orrie brings home some evidence and wants to take it to Wolfe personally, puffed up with pride, and Archie agrees that the honour should be his; he doesn't bother that Orrie will be scoring points against him.

I also like Orrie in the episodes - the added card games show Orrie as slightly slow, perhaps, which he isn't, and maybe intimidated by the others, but he's very sweet!

Sun, 30 Sep 2007, 11:37

New post 
I share your opinion on Fred. He is a teddy-bear kind of guy, suitable for hugging. :D
My fave scene with him comes from 'Too many Clients'. Fred is guarding THE ROOM when Dinah totally embarrasses him!
...The towel...'No'...'Yes'...!! He is adorable!
No one could have played that scene better than those two.

Sun, 30 Sep 2007, 20:49

New post 
starfish wrote:
I share your opinion on Fred. He is a teddy-bear kind of guy, suitable for hugging. :D

Completely! If I were a suspect or a witness in a Nero Wolfe story, I would trust Fred, and find him easy to talk to; Archie would intimidate me (and I wouldn't rank very high on his scale, either!), Orrie would be lovely to look at but wouldn't inspire me with confidence, and Saul would just scare me :wink:

I would enjoy browsing the books in Wolfe's office, too! (But I hope he doesn't ask me any highbrow questions!)

Sun, 30 Sep 2007, 22:01