It is currently Thu, 28 Mar 2024, 18:50

Too Many Women (1947) 

New post Too Many Women (1947)
Quote:
You're invited to use this topic to discuss the quotations from Too Many Women – a Nero Wolfe novel by Rex Stout.

You may also use this thread for general discussions about this literary work; you do not necessarily need to discuss specific quotations.

Or, if you'd like to talk about anything else related to Nero Wolfe, Archie Goodwin, or Rex Stout, feel free to create a new discussion topic.

Stand clear, she's on a roll! :lol:

I've only got a couple of books left to go before I finish the corpus, so I thought I would revisit some favourites first. This is one of my 'underdog' titles, which I prefer above the 'important' titles, such as Too Many Cooks: nothing major happens, and the mystery is only so-so, but it's full of humour - and Archie! I think this is his biggest starring role, despite narrating every book. He is on his own at Naylor-Kerr, with all those women, despite reporting back to Wolfe (once the 'coolness' thaws), and I think we get to see how he would be as a Marlowe-esque detective, lone-wolfing, so to speak, in New York; he's not a genius like Wolfe, but he has his own talents! :wink:

And I would love to have seen this as an episode, particularly the fisticuffs outside the brownstone, and the arguing between Cramer and Wolfe! :D

Fri, 28 Sep 2007, 20:13
site admin

New post Re: Too Many Women – a 1947 Nero Wolfe novel
AdonisGuilfoyle wrote:
Stand clear, she's on a roll! :lol:

Indeed. :) Thanks a lot for launching yet another Wolfe & Archie quotes collection :!: (I'll only have to say this no more than 35 times, Adonis: we've now managed to found collections of quotes for 12 out of 47 Nero Wolfe volumes, so it's only 35 left to go!) :wink:

AdonisGuilfoyle wrote:
I've only got a couple of books left to go before I finish the corpus

Take it slowly! :D There's nothing like the first time...

AdonisGuilfoyle wrote:
it's full of humour - and Archie! I think this is his biggest starring role, despite narrating every book.

Well, I'd say Archie's biggest starring role is in the masterpiece, In the Best Families, where Archie even sets up his own private detective agency. (That's when he reminds me of Phil Marlowe the most.) Other than that, I agree with you.

Although I didn't particularly enjoy Too Many Women upon re-reading it recently, it does pleasantly remind me of the big-office atmosphere also shown in one of my top favourite films of all time: Billy Wilder's The Apartment, starring Jack Lemmon and the gorgeous Shirley MacLaine. I think both The Apartment and Too Many Women capture the big-business, giant-office environment superbly, making it highly memorable.

I thought that the quality of Too Many Women dropped off rather markedly after Archie's stint in the mega-office was over, upon his return to his usual role at the Brownstone. The office moments, and Archie's reactions to the unusual (for him) work environment, seemed like the greatest fun in this particular volume, didn't they :?:

AdonisGuilfoyle wrote:
And I would love to have seen this as an episode, particularly the fisticuffs outside the brownstone, and the arguing between Cramer and Wolfe! :D

Yes... There's still hope :!: Before Timothy Hutton gets too old... And if he does, they can always film Death of a Dude in fabulous original Montana locations. 8)

Sat, 29 Sep 2007, 15:38
Profile E-mail WWW

Faterson wrote:
Well, I'd say Archie's biggest starring role is in the masterpiece, In the Best Families, where Archie even sets up his own private detective agency. (That's when he reminds me of Phil Marlowe the most.) Other than that, I agree with you.

I thought about both ITBF and another of my 'underdogs', If Death Ever Slept, in comparison with this story, and whereas the latter has virtually the same arrangement, Best Families stands alone for me: Wolfe is still very much present, through Archie feeling his absence, in the masterpiece, whereas I got the feeling of the fat genius making a cameo appearance in Women. Families is also more about Wolfe and Archie's relationship - how intense is that book? - but TMW is just another mystery; I still love it, though, just for Archie and his women! (What did he do with them all at Rusterman's?)

Quote:
Yes... There's still hope :!: Before Timothy Hutton gets too old... And if he does, they can always film Death of a Dude in fabulous original Montana locations. 8)

Surely you jest? :shock: I understand your figuring, but it's the logic that turns me off - Dude is boring. And - gulp - I think that Timothy Hutton is already too old; he was pushing it in the last series (I always get a laugh when he tells O'Neill, is it, in Silent Speaker: 'Don't try it - I'm younger than you are' :wink: )

I can't think of another actor to replace him, however: Hutton is an underrated and yet 'classical' actor, not as in training, just in style; he reminds me of that lost generation of Hollywood players, such as Gregory Peck and David Niven, and he's also very versatile.

I have to ask - what do you consider your, say, five favourite Nero Wolfe stories? :twisted: Let's see how many strikes we get through before - and if - we find a match! I would say, for me: In The Best Families, Champagne for One, The League of the Frightened Men, If Death Ever Slept, and Some Buried Caesar. I also like the episodes of CfO, The Silent Speaker, Prisoner's Base and The Mother Hunt.

Sat, 29 Sep 2007, 20:44
site admin

AdonisGuilfoyle wrote:
Surely you jest? :shock: I understand your figuring, but it's the logic that turns me off - Dude is boring.

No jesting. I've already read Death of a Dude twice and didn't find it boring in the least. I'd say it's definitely among the top half of the 33 Wolfe full-length novels in terms of quality, let's say in the top 15. 8)

AdonisGuilfoyle wrote:
I have to ask - what do you consider your, say, five favourite Nero Wolfe stories? :twisted: Let's see how many strikes we get through before - and if - we find a match!

We've already found the match. Apart from that match, though, I'd say your other four top picks didn't impress me too much. My top 5 Nero Wolfe volumes as of right now would be:

No 1: Fer-de-Lance (1934)
No 2: Too Many Cooks (1938)
No 3: In the Best Families (1950)
No 4: The Silent Speaker (1946)
No 5: Over My Dead Body (1940)

As to the TV episodes, I haven't even managed to watch all of them yet (there's so little time for everything! :evil:), so currently I can't really make a responsible comment on comparing the various episodes.

Sat, 29 Sep 2007, 21:49
Profile E-mail WWW

Faterson wrote:
My top 5 Nero Wolfe volumes as of right now would be:

No 1: Fer-de-Lance (1934)
No 2: Too Many Cooks (1938)
No 3: In the Best Families (1950)
No 4: The Silent Speaker (1946)
No 5: Over My Dead Body (1940)

That's a very professional list, pop-picker! :wink:

And I think I should have gone for a top ten, with hindsight - Over My Dead Body is now one of my favourites, too (it was a grower, however - it took Goodwingrad to persuade me!) And Maury Chaykin injected a ton of pathos into Wolfe in the episode; the scene where Archie reports back about Neya from a phone booth was beautifully done, with Wolfe obviously anxious to learn about his 'daughter', but Archie completely missing the significance of his silences. You should definitely find time for that viewing experience! :wink:

Sat, 29 Sep 2007, 22:00

New post 
This is one of the books I do not own, just borrowed it twice from the library.
I remember Archie's painstaking method of checking wether someone snooped in his files.
And how he basked in the attention he garnered walking past all those desks and eyes!
You are right, this story would have been so much fun on screen.

As to favorites, mine would have to include Christmas Party, Door to Death and Poison a la carte.

I would like to comment further on this, but will jump to the A&E thread, as not to corrupt this one. 8)

Sun, 30 Sep 2007, 3:03