It is currently Tue, 19 Mar 2024, 9:35

Sir, Are You Extraterrestrial? 
site admin

New post Sir, Are You Extraterrestrial?
[Here is an amusing exchange (I think) I happened to come across on the Internet...]

Quote:
I'm wondering whether my earlier message [asking you whether you have any connection with extraterrestrial civilisations, even in thought] might have ended in your spam filter.

No, everything's OK. It's just that I'm usually swamped by work so I'm not always capable of reacting promptly. :?

Quote:
[references to doctors and illnesses]

I wouldn't know much about this... I've been avoiding doctors like the plague, and I think the last time I saw a doctor may have been 12 to 15 years ago or so, when I was still in college. Who knows what sorts of miscellaneous illnesses may be hiding in me without my realizing it. :wink:

Quote:
So do you have any connection – if only in thought – with extraterrestrial life?

As I think I mentioned elsewhere, I'm a fan of Schopenhauer, who famously claimed that “Die Welt [ist nur] Wille und Vorstellung”. In other words, Schopenhauer (and I) are Platonists, and believe that anything material is illusionary, while the only real things are ideas, thoughts.

So, any “extraterrestrial” life, just as “terrestrial” life, would merely be illusionary, as both are material, rather than ideal concepts.

I believe that this Earth, our bodies, and everything material is merely illusionary (albeit a very powerful and frequently painful illusion). So, if I manage to live in this illusion of our Earth, why wouldn't I (and others) be able to live on other earths and planets? It's perfectly possible. I'd simply shrug that off as something that's not really so exciting and surprising to me.

As to “thinking of extraterrestrial life”, I don't, but I have developed a funny prayer for myself where I imagine myself floating about in outer space, looking at the small ball that is the planet Earth, then pursing my mouth and blowing some air of good-will through my lips towards the planet Earth that becomes engulfed in that waft of air, since the planet is so small at that moment and the air of good-will I'm blowing towards it is so powerful and irresistible.

Since I repeat this prayer many times daily, you might say I dwell in outer space every day for quite a few minutes. That's where we may have met. Haha!

That's the best answer I can give you for now before getting bogged down by work again. 8)

[Quoted here with permission of both sides.]

Mon, 10 Dec 2007, 19:17
Report this post
Profile E-mail WWW