It is currently Thu, 28 Mar 2024, 15:37

Rex Stout — general discussion thread 

Is Rex Stout your number 1 favourite writer of mysteries?
Yes 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
He's close to being number 1 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
Not even close 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Definitely not 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Rex Stout — general discussion thread 
site admin

New post Rex Stout — general discussion thread
You're invited to use this topic to discuss the posted quotations about Rex Stout. (What others said about Rex Stout.)

Or, simply use this thread to let us know your own general thoughts regarding Rex Stout as a writer or person. For example, what's your own assessment of Rex Stout's stature among all American writers (not only mystery writers), or among all the world's mystery writers (not only those writing in English) :?:

In this thread, you don't need to restrict yourself to discussing Rex Stout as the creator of Nero Wolfe and Archie Goodwin. After all, Stout authored lots of other writings that also deserve our attention.

Plus, Stout was an influential political activist, especially at the time of World War II. He was also outspoken about his condemnation of McCarthyism and, much later towards the end of his long life (89), Nixon's Watergate affair.

Thu, 19 Jul 2007, 12:26
Profile E-mail WWW
New post transferring OTs
Faterson, it is not you, it is I!
Your site is mindboggling impressive. The sad fact is, you are dealing with a garden variety computer pedestrian.
I read that my browser is apparently not up to snuff and an IP being recorded, and so I aborted the attempt.
I shall try again as per your instructions. :?

Goodwingrad, reading J&W is the ultimate feel-good escape. Are you aware that there are 8 seasons on DVD ?
The films are not as faithful to the books as NW. The clever phrases and wording are somewhat lost, since it has to be visual and some characters are miscast, but they are great fun to watch nevertheless. Call it eye candy, magnificent country houses, with great staircases and libraries with books to the ceiling; French windows with lawns and gardens beyond.
I want an Aunt Dahlia - "sigh"!

I wish I had marked the books with NW references. I own some but many came from libraries.
I am sure Bertie used Pfui once 'because NW finds it useful to do so".

FS, if this is too far OT, feel free to delete. 8)

Fri, 20 Jul 2007, 6:33
site admin

New post Re: transferring OTs
starfish wrote:
I read that my browser is apparently not up to snuff and an IP being recorded, and so I aborted the attempt. I shall try again as per your instructions. :?

Ah, sorry about that. It's true that when you choose not to sign in, your IP is being publicly recorded whenever you submit a quotation. However, an IP address is pretty much an anonymous string of numbers these days, anyway, and only your Internet Provider could really fully disclose (and only for very serious reasons) who used a specific IP at a certain time. So go ahead, Starfish, and post any Too Many Clients quotations you may have available, if you don't mind your IP address being displayed in the page's history as a result.

But, you may avoid all that IP stuff by simply creating a fully anonymous nickname for yourself, for example Starfish. You may create your account here. Of course, if there are special settings in your browser that prevent you from doing so, that's too bad. :( Most modern browsers with the standard settings should have no problem at all with creating an anonymous account on this page. It only takes a few seconds.

starfish wrote:
FS, if this is too far OT, feel free to delete. 8)

I won't think of it. :) This site is meant for quotations by all authors, not just Rex Stout. So, there will be webpages for collections of quotes by P. G. Wodehouse, along with a discussion forum and threads devoted specifically to discuss P. G. Wodehouse's works.

I've already selected a few P. G. Wodehouse quotations to post on this site, but it will take some time until I get around to doing that. I particularly remember one non-Jeeves Wodehouse short story I enjoyed a lot: it was titled 'Lord Emsworth and the Girlfriend', and even though it lacked Jeeves, there were lots of aunts in it, if I recall correctly! :lol:

PS: For anyone who may be wondering how we got to discussing P. G. Wodehouse in a Rex Stout forum, here is the link to Starfish's original post in another thread.

Fri, 20 Jul 2007, 11:05
Profile E-mail WWW

New post Re: transferring OTs
starfish wrote:
Goodwingrad, reading J&W is the ultimate feel-good escape. Are you aware that there are 8 seasons on DVD ? The films are not as faithful to the books as NW. The clever phrases and wording are somewhat lost, since it has to be visual and some characters are miscast, but they are great fun to watch nevertheless. Call it eye candy, magnificent country houses, with great staircases and libraries with books to the ceiling; French windows with lawns and gardens beyond.
I want an Aunt Dahlia - "sigh"!

Oh yes! I do know about the series of J&W. I thought there were only four seasons? I think my library has most of them, or at least I hope so! I was going to rent them as soon as I could find the time to watch them. From the research I have been doing on them and the reviews I have read everyone seems to really love and enjoy the series. They also say it is faithful to the books, and I don't see why it wouldn't be because both the actors almost refused to play Jeeves and Wooster fearing to taint the marvelous works of P.G. Wodehouse. They both grew up reading his stuff, and really treasured it. I understand that they have combined several stories into one episode (which astounds me because it seems like a lot of material to fit in one episode!), but I can totally understand why they did that. I know I will love the series to death. I'm not a purist in any way shape or form, and enjoy any interpretation that comes out of my favorite books. I love every single Nero Wolfe episode too, hehe! 8)

I have to say, though, I think the actors are PERFECT for Jeeves and Wooster. I watched a clip on youtube that my friend had given me where Bertie is singing some random song, and the whole delivery of the scene was very P.G. Wodehouse and I was just laughing so much! Particularly when Bertie tries to get Jeeves to join in the song with him, hahaha! Great stuff!

I had already liked Hugh Laurie anyway. He's a fabulous actor who actually has a talent for comedy unlike alot of people now a days.

starfish wrote:
I wish I had marked the books with NW references. I own some but many came from libraries.
I am sure Bertie used Pfui once 'because NW finds it useful to do so".

Hahaha! Bertie's fan-like devotion to my favorite mysteries is something I just enjoy. I just got done reading a story, Jeaves in the Offing, where Bertie describes a female character as looking like Sherlock Holmes. He says she just needs to slap on a dressing gown and a violin and could walk right into Baker St. and no one would question! It was so funny! :lol:

Fri, 20 Jul 2007, 16:23
Profile WWW
New post 
( I think I created an account, but can't be sure. It was too painless. :lol:

Goodwingrad, you are right. There are 4 seasons on 8 dvds.
Treat the videos as a different entity and enjoy them for what they are. In some episodes, the mix and (not) match may confuse you if you have just read the book.
Of course J&W are cast perfectly. Weren't they also Oxford chums in real life?
The series slipped up with the aunts. Both are formidable ladies and great actresses, but can we believe they have 10/12 year old sons?
I do recall the duet. Great stuff indeed !

Jumping back to Wolfe, how do we feel about Theodore Horstmann?
Here he is, up in the plant rooms 24/7. He works there, sleeps there and takes his meals there. A virtual prisoner.
Is he ever downstairs? Chatting with Fritz or interacting with anyone? They don't even like him very much.
Would he not be happier as an 8-5 employee (9-6 to accommodate Wolfe's schedule) ? He could live elsewhere and enjoy a life of his own. After all, orchids are not babies, requiring 2am feedings.

All in favor of setting poor Theodore free, say "Aye" :D

Sat, 21 Jul 2007, 16:05
site admin

New post 
starfish wrote:
I think I created an account, but can't be sure. It was too painless. :lol:

Absolutely, you were successful, Starfish, as this webpage confirms.

So, whenever you'd like to submit a quotation, just log in before you do so, and your IP address will never show up on any webpage. 8)

Please note that separate registration & login processes are in place for the quotes pages themselves, and for this discussion forum that is run by separate software. So, you may want to create a Starfish account also for this discussion forum.

The main advantage, for me, of being a registered member both here and elsewhere are email notifications. I'm very busy most of the time and don't have the time to check webpages if any responses are posted to my contributions. Email notifications take care of that for me: if there is either a reply to my post in this forum, or a quotations page I'm monitoring changes, this site will send you an email notification if you specify that wish in your user preferences. :idea:

starfish wrote:
All in favor of setting poor Theodore free, say "Aye" :D

I'm in favor but, for whatever reason, I've just remembered I'd very much like to drink a tall, ice-cold glass of sour milk. I do like sour milk a lot. :lol: And, it's been exceedingly hot in this country this week; the all-time record for Slovakia was broken yesterday: the new record is now at 40.1 degree Celsius, which is over 104 degree Fahrenheit. It's never been as hot in this country before. :shock:

Sat, 21 Jul 2007, 16:37
Profile E-mail WWW
New post 
I have to do this via 'guest' again. Checked the list and saw that I am on it, but for whatever reason, the log-ins declare my username and/or password invalid.

Just wanted to comment on your temps! That is absolutely brutal and most unusual for Europe.
It will get to only 35 this afternoon in Florida.
There are only two things to do, stay indoors or stay submerged. It can only get better. :D

I think we call 'sour milk' buttermilk.I like it too. You might try cold black tea over ice with a wedge of lemon or lime. No sugar, too caloric!

Sat, 21 Jul 2007, 19:30
site admin

New post 
starfish wrote:
I think we call 'sour milk' buttermilk.

I only said sour milk because Archie frequently says Theodore reminds him of it. :twisted: Archie is a big-time milk drinker, of course, though I don't believe we ever see him sipping sour milk/buttermilk in the Corpus.

starfish wrote:
I have to do this via 'guest' again. Checked the list and saw that I am on it

Please note that there are separate lists for the quotes pages and for the forum.

I can see Goodwingrad on both those lists, but perhaps you were using your quotes pages password for the forum when you tried to log in here. :wink:

Sorry there needs to be this double registration/login procedure, but connecting the wiki and forum logins doesn't really work well, although I tried to set it up that way in the past.

starfish wrote:
but for whatever reason, the log-ins declare my username and/or password invalid.

Goodwingrad, I have just re-set your password for this discussion forum. I'm sending you your reset password via email. I've just tried logging in to the forum under your reset password, and it works flawlessly. So, there should be no problem any longer. Of course, it would be a good idea to modify your reset forum password so that it's identical with your password for the quotes pages. :idea:

Another good idea is (if you use your own computer) to tick the Log me on automatically each visit box when you log in to the forum. Then you won't have to log in each time you visit the forum. On the quotes pages, the same box is called Remember my login on this computer. :idea:

Finally, should problems with logging in re-appear in future, please just click the I forgot my password link on the forum login page. You will receive a reset password via email. On the quotes pages, you may request your password to be sent to you via email by clicking the E-mail password button on the quotes pages login page. :idea:

Hope you don't find it depressing, Goodwingrad, that there are so many alternative ways to retrieve your lost password or create a new one that will work. :lol: Should all else fail, please just send an email to a@avenarius.sk and your access will be restored manually by the administrator. 8)

starfish wrote:
Just wanted to comment on your temps! That is absolutely brutal and most unusual for Europe. It will get to only 35 this afternoon in Florida. There are only two things to do, stay indoors or stay submerged. It can only get better. :D

Well, it's supposed to get slightly colder every day from now on. The temperatures should drop to below 30 Celsius / 86 Fahrenheit starting from Tuesday or so. It's about time! :)

I went for lunch this afternoon, the usual 15-minute walk from the blue cirle (my apartment) to the red circle on the right (next to the airport) where a bunch of restaurants are, but it took me 22 minutes today to cover the distance. I felt like I was drunk or something, you can't even walk properly in such heat. :lol: Whenever a car honked, I thought my head would burst with the sound. :o When I got back home, the thermometer on my kitchen window said 42 Celsius / 107.6 Fahrenheit.

starfish wrote:
You might try cold black tea over ice with a wedge of lemon or lime. No sugar, too caloric!

Ah, I stopped drinking black and green tea altogether some time ago. They're like drugs: they make you feel fresh when you are in fact tired. I had some health problems and decided I'd stop cheating my own body. :wink: So, when I'm tired nowadays, I simply take a nap, even in the middle of an afternoon, instead of drinking large quantities of tea as before. (I've never drunk coffee – dislike the taste.)

Anyway, a good drink for this kind of weather seems to be 100% pure lemon juice mixed with cold tap water, no sugar added at all. That kind of drink is sour like hell, even more so than Theodore Horstmann, but it does quench the thirst, so it would seem! :D

Last edited by Faterson on Sat, 21 Jul 2007, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.

Sat, 21 Jul 2007, 21:16
Profile E-mail WWW
New post here is to total confusion
Please don't blame Goodwingrad.
The Guest post you answered actually came from Starfish.

At least, when the Dummy Awards are given out, I'll be first in line!

Stay cool! 8)

Sat, 21 Jul 2007, 21:28
site admin

New post Re: here is to total confusion
starfish wrote:
Please don't blame Goodwingrad.
The Guest post you answered actually came from Starfish.

Oops :!: And now I've needlessly re-set Goodwingrad's password. :oops: :lol: Hope she can forgive us. :)

Anyway, Starfish, since you're not on the forum members list yet, you may simply register in the forum, too. It's just as easy and painless as registration on the quotes pages. (Preferably, choose the same username and password for the forum as on the quotes pages.)

(However, it may take some time before your forum membership is approved; I need to approve those memberships manually, as most entities registering in this forum are actually spambots. :( I need to delete about 20 to 30 spambots' forum memberships every single day. :evil: )

Sat, 21 Jul 2007, 22:18
Profile E-mail WWW
site admin

New post 
For anyone following this thread on Rex Stout's person, a must-read, or rather must-listen is a post I've just sent to the Red Threads topic.

The post contains links to original audio recordings from 1939 of Rex Stout's voice, delivering a wisecrack in the style of Archie Goodwin, among other things. Enjoy :!:

Sat, 28 Jul 2007, 6:21
Profile E-mail WWW